Wednesday 5 March 2008

Hi Class 4

Thanks so much for all you questions and great to read that all is well back in Somerset. Melv and I will write some answers over the weekend and post them on - so keep watching the blog.
I went into Grand Anse Primary School yesterday and met the children there, it was my first visit to a Seychelles school to actually talk to some of the children. Grand Anse is the main village on the island of Praslin where we moor the boat up to do all our shopping. The school has formed a group called the Eco-Aride Club and I hope to work with them, together with other schools through the year.

I must admit I was a little apprehensive about going into a school unable to speak the local language, but I needn’t have been, their English was excellent. All the schools are very keen on environmental education and the children were really interested to hear about the wildlife that we have on Aride island. We talked about the food chain on the fairy tern and played the food web game. A lot of them have never been to the island so they had plenty of questions.

I also told them about you and Meare Village Primary School and they were really excited to hear that they would be able to 'talk' to children from Somerset and look forward to introducing themselves to you. Unfortunately they do not have an Internet connection, but we hope to help them get one, and until then I will bring things back to the island to put on line.

So over the next two weeks they are going to write about themselves and they are going to think of lots of questions to ask you, ready for when I go back into school - I hope that is OK? Do you think you will be able to do the same?

They would also like to see a photograph of you, this one of them is taken in their school grounds

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to `talk` to them and find out what it's like over there.

India
class 4